Justin Ellis’ practice focuses on complex civil litigation, white collar matters, and appellate litigation.
Prior to joining MoloLamken, Mr. Ellis was an associate in the New York office of Sullivan & Cromwell. He also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Frank H. Easterbrook, Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Representative Appellate Matters
- Successful amicus briefing at the certiorari and merits stages before the United States Supreme Court regarding the requirements for diversity jurisdiction under the Class Action Fairness Act
- Amicus merits-stage briefing before the United States Supreme Court regarding the consent exception for warrantless entries under the Fourth Amendment
- A foreign central bank in a petition for writ of certiorari to the United States Supreme Court regarding the Article III prohibition on “rules of decision”
- Successful briefing and argument before the en banc Virginia Court of Appeals and the Virginia Supreme Court on behalf of an appellant who was convicted of summary criminal contempt by the trial court
- A credit-ratings agency seeking interlocutory appellate review of a class-certification order by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Amicus briefing before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit regarding the standard of review of ERISA plan administrator decisions
Representative Complex Civil Litigation Matters
- Successfully represented certificateholders of residential mortgage-backed securities trusts in Article 77 dispute over the distribution of an $8.5 billion settlement fund
- Global financial institutions and investors pursuing multiple RMBS "putback" suits against mortgage originators and other responsible parties in state and federal courts
- A global financial institution facing multiple regulatory investigations and civil litigation regarding alleged antitrust, Commodities Exchange Act, and securities law violations in connection with the LIBOR price-fixing scandal
- A movie investor in a successful arbitration hearing before JAMS
- A subsidiary of a global reinsurer pursuing tort and contract claims in New York Supreme Court involving a complex, multi-year billing-fraud scheme
Representative Criminal Defense Matters
- A public official under indictment for honest services fraud, Hobbs Act violations, and money laundering in the Southern District of New York
- An investment advisor under indictment for obstruction of justice and perjury in the Southern District of New York
- A CDO manager under investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission regarding alleged securities-law violations
- A former government employee under investigation by the Department of Justice regarding alleged misconduct abroad
- A state prisoner in a Fourth Amendment excessive-force jury trial before the Southern District of New York.