Jessica Ortiz is a highly accomplished lawyer who draws on her extensive experience as an Assistant United States Attorney in the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, where she served as Chief of the Narcotics Unit for over eight years. Ms. Ortiz represents companies and individuals in high stakes civil litigation and white collar criminal and regulatory investigations and enforcement actions brought by the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission and other federal and state regulators. She is also called upon to conduct corporate internal investigations in the United States and abroad, and to advise clients on crisis and risk management.
At the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Ms. Ortiz supervised investigations and prosecutions of domestic and international money laundering, narcotics conspiracies and distribution, health care fraud and misconduct by physicians and medical practitioners involving prescription drugs and violent crimes. Prior to her supervisory appointment, Ms. Ortiz investigated and prosecuted a wide range of federal crimes including bank, mail and wire fraud, computer crimes and misuse, corporate theft, public corruption, racketeering and organized crime as well murder, assault, narcotics trafficking, stalking, threats, robbery, kidnapping.
In her courtroom work at the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Ms. Ortiz led 15 jury trials to conviction as lead counsel, including a 3-month RICO enterprise trial stemming from a 76 defendant prosecution. In addition to her successful trial work, Ms. Ortiz has extensive appellate experience, having briefed eight and argued three appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Ms. Ortiz previously practiced securities litigation at Weil, Gotshal & Manges, LLP. Prior to law school, Ms. Ortiz was a Senior Technology Security Associate for the Global Risk Management Service of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP.
- Represent a global pharmaceutical company in a fraud suit over a $2.3 billion corporate acquisition in Mexico (Representaciones e Investigaciones Médicas, S.A. de C.V. v. Espinosa, No. 655112/2016 (N.Y. Sup. Ct. filed Sept. 27, 2016))
- Represent senior executive of renewable energy company in connection with DOJ and SEC investigation and securities litigation
- Enforcement of an CIESP arbitral award against a Brazilian securities broker for an investment agent (TBC Consultoria Em Investimentos Financeiros, LTDA v. Gradual Corretora De Cambio, Titulos E Valores Mobiliarios S.A., et al., No. 17 Civ. 3145 (S.D.N.Y. filed April 28, 2017))
- Represent individuals in connection with investigations involving violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and False Claims Act
- Represent an attorney in connection with investigation by DOJ and FDIC related to property acquisition by a financial institution and bank executive
- Preparing for the Globalization of Corporate Internal Investigations, ABA Second Global White Collar Crime Institute, Sao Paulo, Brazil, June 8, 2017
- Navigating Internal Investigations and Avoiding Ethical Pitfalls, 2017 Corporate Counsel Conference, Hispanic National Bar Association, Miami, Florida, Mar. 31, 2017
- Direct & Cross Examination, Metropolitan Black Bar Association, 2017 Hon. Theodore T. Jones Trial Workshop, New York, New York, Feb. 4, 2017
- Hack the iPhone! Balancing the Interests of Privacy and Law Enforcement, 2016 Annual Convention, Hispanic National Bar Association, Chicago, Illinois, Sept. 9, 2016
Publications and Quotations
- Recent SEC and DOJ Settlements With Och-Ziff and Two Executives Underscore FCPA Compliance Risks to Private Fund Managers, The Hedge Fund Law Report, Oct. 27, 2016
- Dirty Dealings in Africa Result in SEC and DOJ Settlements for Och-Ziff and Two Executives, The FCPA Report, Oct. 26, 2016
- Former Federal Prosecutor Jessica Ortiz’s Career Advice For Up-And-Coming Attorneys, Above the Law, October 7, 2016
- More Prominent Prosecutors Leaving for Private Practice, Above the Law, Sept. 26, 2016
- Ex-SDNY Prosecutor Joins Litigation Boutique MoloLamken, Law360, Sept. 23, 2016
- SDNY Narcotics Unit Chief Leaves to Join Boutique, New York Law Journal, Sept. 22, 2016
- MoloLamken Adds Veteran Federal Prosecutor Jessica Ortiz, Lawdragon, Sept. 22, 2016