Jessica Ortiz is a highly accomplished lawyer who draws on her extensive experience as an Assistant United States Attorney in the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, where she served for over eight years, ending her tenure as Chief of the Narcotics Unit.
Ms. Ortiz represents companies and individuals in high stakes civil litigation and white collar criminal and regulatory investigations and enforcement actions brought by the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission and other federal and state regulators. She is also called upon to conduct corporate internal investigations in the U.S. and abroad and to advise clients on crisis and risk management.
At the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Ms. Ortiz supervised investigations and prosecutions of domestic and international money laundering, narcotics conspiracies and distribution, health care fraud and misconduct by physicians and medical practitioners involving prescription drugs and violent crimes. Prior to her supervisory appointment, Ms. Ortiz investigated and prosecuted a wide range of federal crimes including bank, mail, and wire fraud, computer crimes and misuse, corporate theft, public corruption, racketeering and organized crime as well murder, assault, narcotics trafficking, stalking, threats, robbery, kidnapping.
In her courtroom work at the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Ms. Ortiz led 15 jury trials to conviction as lead counsel, including a 3-month RICO enterprise trial stemming from a 76-defendant prosecution. In addition to her successful trial work, Ms. Ortiz has extensive appellate experience, having briefed eight and argued three appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Ms. Ortiz previously practiced securities litigation at Weil, Gotshal & Manges, LLP. Prior to law school, Ms. Ortiz was a Senior Technology Security Associate for the Global Risk Management Service of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP.
- Represent a global pharmaceutical company in a fraud suit over a $2.3 billion corporate acquisition in Mexico (Representaciones e Investigaciones Médicas, S.A. de C.V. v. Espinosa, No. 655112/2016 (N.Y. Sup. Ct. filed Sept. 27, 2016))
- Represent senior executive of renewable energy company in connection with DOJ and SEC investigations and securities litigation
- Enforcement of a CIESP arbitral award against a Brazilian securities broker for an investment agent (TBC Consultoria Em Investimentos Financeiros, LTDA v. Gradual Corretora De Cambio, Titulos E Valores Mobiliarios S.A., et al., No. 17 Civ. 3145 (S.D.N.Y. filed April 28, 2017))
- Represent individuals in connection with investigations involving violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and False Claims Act
- Represent an attorney in connection with investigation by Department of Justice and Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation related to property acquisition by a financial institution and bank executive
- Counsel for NAACP New York State Conference as amicus curiae in support of Tax Equity Now NY LLC challenging the New York City property tax system on the basis that it unfairly burdens low income and minority neighborhoods in violation of the Fair Housing Act
- Managing Outside Counsel Spend: Strategies for In-House Counsel, Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey 8th Annual Corporate Counsel Round Table, Newark, New Jersey, Jan. 23, 2018
- Government Investigations and Compliance, Benchmark Women in Litigation Forum, New York, New York, Sept. 19, 2017
- How and When to Break the Rules: Effective Cross-Examinations, Hispanic National Bar Association 2017 Annual Conference, Kansas City, Missouri, Sept. 8, 2017
- Preparing for the Globalization of Corporate Internal Investigations, ABA Second Global White Collar Crime Institute, São Paulo, Brazil, June 8, 2017
- Navigating Internal Investigations and Avoiding Ethical Pitfalls, Hispanic National Bar Association 2017 Corporate Counsel Conference, Miami, Florida, Mar. 31, 2017
- Direct & Cross Examination, Metropolitan Black Bar Association 2017 Hon. Theodore T. Jones Trial Workshop, New York, New York, Feb. 4, 2017
- Hack the iPhone!: Balancing the Interests of Privacy and Law Enforcement, Hispanic National Bar Association 2016 Annual Convention, Chicago, Illinois, Sept. 9, 2016
News & Appearances
- A Guide to Identifying and Working with Quality Local Counsel, The Anti-Corruption Report (April 4, 2018)
- Recent SEC and DOJ Settlements With Och-Ziff and Two Executives Underscore FCPA Compliance Risks to Private Fund Managers, Hedge Fund Law Report (Oct. 27, 2016)
- Dirty Dealings in Africa Result in SEC and DOJ Settlements for Och-Ziff and Two Executives, FCPA Report (Oct. 26, 2016)
- Former Federal Prosecutor Jessica Ortiz’s Career Advice For Up-And-Coming Attorneys, Above the Law (Oct. 7, 2016)
- More Prominent Prosecutors Leaving for Private Practice, Above the Law (Sept. 26, 2016)
- Ex-SDNY Prosecutor Joins Litigation Boutique MoloLamken, Law360 (Sept. 23, 2016)
- SDNY Narcotics Unit Chief Leaves to Join Boutique, New York Law Journal (Sept. 22, 2016)
- MoloLamken Adds Veteran Federal Prosecutor Jessica Ortiz, Lawdragon (Sept. 22, 2016)