Lucas Walker's practice focuses on appellate litigation in federal and state court. He has argued before the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Seventh and Tenth Circuits and has authored numerous briefs in the U.S. Supreme Court, various federal courts of appeals, and state supreme court. His practice also includes motions practice and issue development at the trial level. Mr. Walker’s experience covers a broad range of subject matter, including administrative and constitutional law, intellectual property, bankruptcy, foreign sovereign immunity, telecommunications, energy, and white collar defense.
Mr. Walker previously practiced at MoloLamken for five years. He returned to the firm in 2019 after serving two clerkships at the U.S. Supreme Court, first with Justice Samuel A. Alito, Jr. and later with Justice Neil M. Gorsuch. Mr. Walker also served as a law clerk to then-Judge Gorsuch prior to joining MoloLamken in 2010.
- Briefed and argued telephone carrier’s petition for review before the Tenth Circuit challenging the Federal Communications Commission’s reduction of intercarrier compensation rates
- Briefed and argued habeas petitioner’s appeal before the Seventh Circuit in case involving the admissibility of statements under the Confrontation and Due Process Clauses
- Represented state exchange carrier group in challenge to New Mexico Public Regulation Commission orders reducing funding for rural telephone service
- Represented foreign representative before the Second Circuit in case upholding the foreign representative’s retention of a $133 million asset in a Chapter 15 bankruptcy proceeding
- Represented professional association of federal judges as amicus curiae in challenge to denial of judicial salary adjustments; our brief advanced a statutory basis for relief adopted by the en banc Federal Circuit
- Represented consumer class action representative before the U.S. Supreme Court in case involving constitutional standing to sue for receipt of conflicted real-estate settlement services
- Represented Fortune 500 technology company before the Federal Circuit in case challenging the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s interpretation of the reissue patent statute
- Represented foreign bank before the Ninth Circuit in case involving attachment of assets under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act and Terrorism Risk Insurance Act
- Represented criminal defendant before the Eleventh Circuit in case involving federal healthcare fraud statute; prepared critical motions and jury instructions for district court proceedings
- Represented criminal defendant before the Fourth Circuit in case involving the constitutionality of the federal ban on corporate campaign contributions
- Represented defense attorneys association as merits-stage amicus before the U.S. Supreme Court in case involving mootness of collective-action lawsuits under the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Represented bankruptcy attorneys association as merits-stage amicus before the U.S. Supreme Court in case involving debtor’s entitlement to return of undistributed funds following conversion from Chapter 13 to Chapter 7 proceeding