Mark Kelley is a creative and aggressive litigator with a record of delivering success at every stage of litigation, from pre-complaint negotiations through appeal to judgment enforcement. He has played key roles in both headline-grabbing cases and confidential business disputes across a wide range of subject matters. Mark has particular experience with matters involving fraud, technology, financial services, and business torts, but he has litigated disputes relating to employment, the False Claims Act, defamation, patents, trade secrets, product liability, malpractice, and antitrust, among other things.
Mark is a skilled advocate who crafts inventive strategies and compelling narratives for his clients. He routinely manages complex cases, mastering the details without losing sight of the big picture or his clients’ goals. Mark is known for his good judgment, avoiding wasted effort, and focusing resources and attention on what matters most. He is plain spoken, energetic, and dedicated, and he has a keen eye for how an issue will play out.
Mark has been recognized as a “New York Rising Star” by Super Lawyers and “One to Watch” by Best Lawyers. Before joining MoloLamken, he was an associate at Boies Schiller Flexner. Mark served as a law clerk to Judge Dennis Jacobs of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and Judge Richard J. Sullivan of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (now a judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit).
- Secured victory in seven-day jury trial of securities-fraud class action arising from failure to disclose beneficial ownership in and control over a publicly traded oil-transloading company (Jon D. Gruber v. Ryan R. Gilbertson et al., No. 16-cv-09727 (S.D.N.Y.))
- Overturned dismissal of False Claims Act case arising from fraud related to FCC wireless spectrum auctions (U.S. ex rel. Vermont Nat'l Tel. Co. v. Northstar Wireless, LLC, 34 F.4th 29 (D.C. Cir. 2022))
- Prevailed at summary judgment in contract dispute involving unpaid debt instruments between investment advisor and Venezuela’s state-owned oil and natural gas company (Red Tree Invs., LLC v. Petroleos de Venezuela, S.A., No. 19-cv-2519 (S.D.N.Y.))
- Represented Revlon in a bankruptcy adversary proceeding concerning complex lending transactions (AIMCO CLO 10 Ltd. v. Revlon, Inc., Adv. Proc. 22-1167 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.))
- Obtained affirmance of PTAB decision upholding drug manufacturer’s patent claims against anticipation and obviousness challenges (Mylan Pharms. Inc. v. Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., 50 F.4th 147 (Fed. Cir. 2022))
- Represented major financial institution in a high-profile employment dispute with its founder and former CIO.
- Litigated and successfully resolved a complex accounting malpractice dispute spanning multiple jurisdictions
- Played leadership role in monitorship of an international bank relating to issues involving money laundering and sanctions enforcement
- Represented hedge fund in dispute involving multiple allegations of fraudulent conveyance relating to direct lender’s debt and equity holdings in New York City parking garage operator
- Litigated against the FTC in an enforcement action (which included a temporary restraining order, preliminary injunction, and multiple interlocutory appeals) relating to allegedly deceptive trade practices
- Advised and represented a high-profile tech startup in the healthcare space through multiple simultaneous state and federal investigations
- Represented a technology startup in investigation of alleged theft of trade secrets relating to self-driving car technology
- Briefed and argued multiple petitions and responses to petitions for discovery in aid of foreign proceedings pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 1782
- Advised and represented investment company through a partnership dispute relating to profit and share distribution in a high-profile SPAC
- Represented an investment company in a complex international litigation relating to partnership dispute that involved multiple foreign arbitrations and injunctions
- 430 Park AvenueNew York, NY 10022T: 212.607.8167F: 212.607.8161
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Dennis Jacobs, United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Richard J. Sullivan, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
Honors & Awards
New York Rising Star, Super Lawyers
One to Watch, Best Lawyers
Yale Law School, J.D.
Semi-Finalist, Morris Tyler Moot Court Competition
Executive Editor, Yale Law & Policy Review
Northwestern University, M.A.
New School for Social Research, M.A.
Wesleyan University, B.A.
Wise Prize for Excellence in the Department of Philosophy
Phi Beta Kappa
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
- Eastern District of New York
- Southern District of New York
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Second, Third, Fifth, Eleventh, D.C., and Federal Circuits